How Dental Crowns Can Help Your Smile
Dental crowns offer an excellent solution if your teeth are damaged, discolored or look a little unusual. Your Novi, MI, dentist, Dr. Neil Blavin, helps you keep your smile strong, healthy and attractive with dental crowns and other restorations and services.
What dental crowns can do for you
Dental crowns look just the part of your teeth visible above your gums. If you examine a crown closely, you'll notice that it's not solid. The hollow design of crowns allows them to slip over teeth and cover them completely. Before you receive a crown, your Novi dentist prepares your tooth to ensure that the crown will fit comfortably.
A crown may be a good choice for you if:
- Your tooth is cracked: Even tiny cracks can weaken the structure of your tooth, increasing your risk of a painful fracture. Crowns absorb biting forces, preventing unsightly, painful breaks. They can be made of porcelain, porcelain-fused-to-metal, ceramic or resin.
- You had a root canal: Crowns strengthen the treated teeth and prevent fractures.
- Your tooth is broken: Broken teeth may occur due to cracks or trauma. The jagged edges of the teeth can cut your mouth, make chewing difficult and mar your appearance. Broken teeth can also be very painful. Fortunately, a crown will cover the broken ends, ending your pain and restoring the normal appearance of your tooth.
- Your tooth is too short: Whether grinding your teeth has gradually worn them down, or you have a tooth that's naturally short, crowns offer a simple way to lengthen short teeth.
- Your tooth is a little funny-looking: Crowns are often used to hide discolored teeth or completely make over a tooth or two. They're a good solution if you have a tooth that's oddly shaped or crooked.
- You lost a tooth: Crowns are paired with dental implants to replace missing teeth. Implants bond to your jawbone and replace your roots, while crowns replace the visible parts of your teeth.
Could dental crowns help your smile? Call your Novi, MI, dentist, Dr. Neil Blavin, at (248) 347-0030 to schedule your appointment.